Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

Having discovered his passion for boxing later in life, York College student Cam Shaw has already competed in Europe’s largest amateur boxing event, the Haringey Cup.

Cam-Shaw-Boxing-web-top
Cam-Shaw-Boxing-web-bottom

The Haringey Cup, which takes place at London's most prestigious venue, Alexandra Palace, sees 300 male and female boxers from all over Europe competing for the ultimate accolade.

Said Cam: “I started training at York Boxing Club two years ago, after only seven months I was having my first fight which I won. I went on to win seven more consecutive fights all by unanimous decision. Boxing is hard work and takes a lot of commitment and I thoroughly enjoy it.

“It’s a lot of hard work keeping your body in good shape, eating clean, keeping healthy and training but I like to be dedicated. Boxing is a tough sport, not just physically but also mentally; and when it comes down to it, the spotlight is on you.”

Cam was part of a team of four boxers who participated in the cup and made it through to the Semi finals. They represented York Boxing Club and the Jack Raine Foundation. Isaac Inns, Cam’s trainer, said; “Cam always tries really hard, he is very sure of himself, something a good boxer needs. He is sharp and learns quickly; hopefully this will help him gain the experience essential to succeed.”

Boxing fits around Cam’s education at York College studying a Level 1 Diploma in Vehicle Maintenance progressing to Engineering. Said Cam; “It’s important to keep active whilst learning and being able to have the best of both worlds. I would love to compete in the Olympics and become a professional boxer, but it’s also important to gain an education.”

Related Links

Watch Cam in his semi-final fight against Almari Louis-Fisher here

Engineering courses

Current Term's News

Links