Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

During National Adult Learners Week three York College students won awards at York’s Adult Learner Awards, with a further four students winning runner-up places. The prestigious annual event celebrated the achievements and contribution of a record number of adult learners in the city and was held at Explore York Library Learning Centre.

Winners and nomineesWEB

Alistair Gourlay, chair of York’s Lifelong Learning Partnership hosted the ceremony and a keynote speech was delivered by Dr Janet Barnes, Chief Executive of York Museums Trust. The Awards were organised by York’s Community Learning Partnership, which aims to grow and develop community (informal) learning and make it accessible to everyone within York and the surrounding areas.

The winning York College students were Joanne Roberts (BA Hons in Fashion Design and Production) who won the Creative Learner of the Year, David Shuttleworth (PGCE student) who won the Higher York Award, following on from Jodie Toone (PGCE student) who won the award last year. Also, Elizabeth McLoughlin (Beauty Therapy) won the Learning through Health and Well-being award.

Said David, Higher York Award winner; "It was a great honour for me to be nominated by my tutor, Roy Halpin, for the Higher York award and to win the award was the icing on the cake! The evening was really interesting and a great opportunity to meet a host of other adult learners from all different sorts of adult learning areas in York. My award reflects not only the work I have put into my course this year, but also on the tremendous support I have received from my course tutors, my mentor and the other tutors who supported me in my PGCE placement classes. Not to mention the support provided by the other PGCE students on the course."

Learning and working at York College has been a great experience for me and whilst it has been demanding at times, it has provided me with the knowledge and confidence to put my learning into practice as I take my first steps as a Further Education tutor."

Runner-up places were awarded to Sally Ward for Most Improved Learner and Charlotte Brady and Jenni Fitton for the Higher York Award. Georgia Wilkinson was runner up in the Learning into Work category..

The Awards are organised by a number of the city’s learning organisations who are members of York’s Community Learning Partnership. Alistair Gourlay, Head of York Learning at City of York Council and Chair of the partnership said: “The quality of nominations received this year has been extremely impressive. Each nominee has a different and personal story to tell around their own learning experience and we’re honoured that they were happy to share them with us at the Awards ceremony.”

Mike Saunders, Head of Studies for Higher Education at York College said: “The College continues to nominate students for the York Adult Learners Awards, and to financially support the event. We congratulate all the winners and especially those from York College. Adult Learning continues to play a vital part in the College’s overall educational provision and the number of awards won shows how much the College values the contribution of its adult students.”

The Adult Learner Awards are supported by Higher York, Your Local Link, University of York, York Museums Trust, Explore Libraries and Archives, Learning City, WEA, York College and City of York Council.

Related Link

Adult Learning 

Current Term's News