Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

Students coming to the end of their studies on the Foundation Degree in Media Make-up, Special Effects Make-up and Hair Design at York College visited the Castle Museum in York for a photo shoot to showcase their period hair and make-up work.

Purple hair punkWEB

Experimenting with all manner of styles, the students used the historical backdrop of the museum to show off their final module creations. Over the duration of the two year course students study hair and make-up across the eras, including Egyptian, Roman and Avant Garde styles. Their final designs show handmade wig frames, elaborate make-up designs, turning the heads of visitors to the Castle Museum.

SixtiesWEB

Alison Bodley, senior curator for history and archaeology, said: “You can tell the enthusiasm and energy the students have put into creating such a marvellous array of hair and make-up styles. We are delighted to host their final photo shoot on Kirkgate, our recreated Victorian street, and in our Sixties area  which provides an atmospheric backdrop.
It also allows the public to see the various styles and techniques used up close and gives us curators a chance to chat to the students about our up and coming exhibition Shaping the Body, which will include how fashions in hair and make-up have changed over the decades."

Tall red and white hairWEB

Media Make-up tutor, Sharon Pickup comments: “On this course students are taught the most up-to-date and relevant techniques to re-produce authentic hair and make-up designs. This final module has involved students in very intricate and precise design work, worthy of any film, television or theatre piece.”

Student Stacey Borg, aged 33 from Leeds, said: “This course has really helped me develop my skills in so many areas of media makeup, specifically in period hair design & prosthetics. It has been challenging but equally enjoyable and I am going to be sad when I leave in a few weeks.”

Girl on floorWEB

On completion of the Foundation Degree, some students will progress to the BA (Hons) degree course at York College, whilst others will gain employment in the media industry.

Related Links

Foundation Degree in Media Make-up, Special Effects Make-up and Hair Design

BA (Hons) Media Make-up and Hair Design

Current Term's News

Links