Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

11th February - 6th March 2014

A new exhibition of paintings by artist Michael Lawton will open at York College Gallery on the 11th February. Born in Sheffield in 1980, Lawton now lives in London where he works as an artist and writer. “All my paintings are the same size. I use them as a way of revisiting and rethinking things that have stuck in my head and that I don't feel I want to deal with in my writing. These stimuli are varied and can be anything I've seen or heard” (Michael Lawton).

Steven Hemingway who runs the gallery space says of the show “This new exhibition of paintings will showcase at the College an artist whose work is very contemporary and relevant to today’s current trends within painting. I’m really pleased that students, staff and visitors alike will all get the chance to see his exciting work and I hope that they can find inspiration in what he creates”.

The exhibition is open daily. It opens on Tuesday 11th February and closes on the 6th March. There will be a private view in the gallery from 4.30pm - 6.30pm on Tuesday 11th February. Refreshments will be served and all are welcome to attend.

Solo Exhibitions
2014 I'm Always in Love, York College, York
2013 Buenos Aires, Stables-in-Exile, Electric House, London

Selected Group Exhibitions and Prizes

2013 Post Post, St James Church, Goldsmiths, London
2013 Work, East Street Arts Pop up Space, London
2012 Animal House, Cephalpod, London
2012 Gilchrist-Fisher Award 21st Anniversary Exhibition, Rebecca Hossack Gallery, London
2011 New Lights Art Prize Exhibition, Mercer Gallery, Harrogate
2011 Shortlisted for the New Lights Art Prize
2011 Interspaces, Patriothall Gallery, Edinburgh
2011 It’s Been One Of Those Days; All Week, Wimbledon College of Art, London
2011 Posters Fo’ Sho’, Five years Gallery, London

Education
2008-09 MA Fine Art Chelsea College of Art and Design
2008 Postgraduate Diploma Fine Art Chelsea College of Art and Design
2003-04 PGCE (PCET) University of Huddersfield
1999-2002 BA (Hons) Fine Art Leeds Metropolitan University

www.mlawton.co.uk

Current Term's News