York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

8-8-16-3

At 11 o’clock on Armistice Day the atrium at York College was filled with Uniformed Public Services students who led the College community in two minutes silence. The students, dressed in black polo shirts, stood on ceremony in front of hundreds more students and staff who watched in silence from the upper floors of the College.

On the Uniformed Public Services courses students learn about war and conflict, leadership, government policies, teamwork, international institutions and human rights, as well as participating in outdoor and adventurous activities. Their studies equip them with an understanding of the skills and knowledge required to embark on a career in the uniformed public services.

Lee Armstrong, Head of Division for Sport and Public Services at York College says: “Students feel proud and privileged to take part in the Remembrance Day ceremony at College. Uniformed Public Services are very aware of the importance of 11th November and the sacrifices made during the World Wars.”

Extended Diploma Uniformed Public Services student, Sam Gill commented: “Armistice Day is important, it gives us the chance to pay our respects and think about those who have fought and are still fighting for our country. My grandparents were in the forces, they have told me stories about past wars and I think on 11th November we should always remember those who have given their lives.”

Current Term's News