York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

8-8-16-3

Students from across the globe received a civic welcome when International students from York’s further and higher education institutions were formally welcomed to the city by the Rt Hon the Lord Mayor, Cllr Julie Gunnell at an event organised by Higher York in the Mansion House.

The Lord Mayor said: “Each year, York’s universities and further education colleges receive over 3,300 international students who bring fantastic cultural diversity to the city. They bring so much to our city and I’m delighted to be able to welcome them to York on behalf of residents. I hope they will enjoy their time in the city and come to think of York as a home from home during their time here.”

International students come to York from a wide range of countries, including Canada, China, India, Norway, South Africa, Thailand and the USA. Some come for a number of years, others for shorter durations, but all add to the cultural diversity of the city. They bring with them new ideas, traditions and important international connections which help make York recognised as an important city on the European and world stage.

York College student Lea Beckmann, from Germany, said: “I decided to come to York as it has a lovely atmosphere. The opportunity to live and study in the city is fantastic. I love York because it’s not like other big cities; it has lovely little streets, great shops and friendly, polite people. I’m really pleased to have had the chance to go to the International Welcome at the Mansion House. It was an honour to meet the Lord Mayor and a great opportunity to meet other international students.”

Jessica Grant, Director of Higher York said: “The partnership between York’s colleges and universities continues to flourish and this event is just one of the ways partners are working together to welcome students and staff to the city.”

(photographs courtesy of Damian James Bramley, DJBPhotography.com)

Current Term's News