York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

8-8-16-3

Born in Dunfermline, in the kingdom of Fife, Jonny Hannah studied illustration at Liverpool Art School where he was taught by the legendary Peter Bailey and then at The Royal College of Art. Since graduating in 1998 he has constantly worked as an illustrator in most fields.

Jonny has collaborated with the animator Jonathan Hodgson and in 2000 they completed 'The Man With The Beautiful Eyes', a five minute animation for Channel 4 which went on to win awards including a BAFTA for best short animation.

He runs the cottage industry Cakes and Ale Press, screen printing books, posters, prints and boxed sets. Jonny’s work has graced the pages of Vogue, The New York Times and many a book jacket, as well as advertising and design work for clients such as the English National Opera, the Sunday Telegraph and the Folio Society.

In 2005 his book 'Hot Jazz Special' was shortlisted for the 2005 Victoria and Albert Museum Illustration Award. Jonny Hannah says of his work: “I've always been inspired by exciting words, from Somerset Maugham's short stories, to the poetry of Ferlinghetti. Words are an essential part of what I want to draw and make and if, in turn, they makes you smile, or read more words by that person, then a job has been done, a communication, visually, has been achieved and I think that's what it's partly all about.”

Steven Hemingway, who runs the Gallery says: “Jonny is one of the country's leading illustrators and I am really pleased he is showing a selection of his work here at York College. The show looks set to be inspirational for all our students, staff and visitors alike.”

L'art C'est Vous exhibition in the York College Gallery runs from 2nd - 28th November. The exhibition is open to the public, free of charge, Monday to Friday (9am - 5pm) and Saturday (9am - 12 noon).

Current Term's News