York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

8-8-16-3

Professional cookery student Chelsie Gavigan (aged 16) visited Japan to participate in an international Aikido competition. She competed against 40 other contestants from countries such as Japan, Russia, the USA, Australia and Britain. At the highly pressurised 4- day competition Chelsea gave a great personal performance, finishing in the top 12 qualifiers.

Since the age of seven Chelsie enjoyed the martial art of Judo and four years ago she switched to practising Aikido, which is a less aggressive sport. Through determination and commitment she progressed to the highest belt within the junior sector, the junior brown belt. To train Chelsie travels from Kirkstall to Bradford, three evenings a week and on Saturday mornings, and before her competition in Japan she went to Loughborough for a squad session where a team was selected to participate in various competitions across the UK.

Chelsie admits she finds it hard to fit Aikido into her busy week. She attends College three days and enjoys her Level 1 Professional Cookery course. She says: “I want to progress to become a pastry chef. My Nan taught me how to bake when I was two years old so I’ve always done it. It used to be a hobby but when I left school I realised I could make a career out of something that I love doing. The professional cookery course at College is really good and I enjoy the challenge of Aikido at the same time.”

Current Term's News