Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

At the first meeting of the York College Debating Society students debated the topic “Should cannabis be legalised”. The Society attracts students from across the College on both A Level and Vocational courses, including students who wish to study prestigious courses at universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, Russell Group and other top universities.

Law tutor, Clare Kirkton commented on the popularity of the society, saying: “It was great to see the room absolutely packed at the first meeting of the academic year. Debating a different topic each week helps students to think on their feet, it stimulates and challenges them. Many of our students use this experience in their personal statements when applying to university.”

A Level student Charles Newton says: “The Debating Society enables me to express my views on relevant and important issues. I hope to study law or politics at university and the skills I am learning will be very useful in the future.”

A Level student Samantha Nyariri says: “We talk about subjects that matter. I am learning to understand other people’s points of view.”

The Debating Society is offered as part of a larger programme of College enrichment activities and is run by students, for students, on Tuesday lunchtimes.

Current Term's News