Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service carried out a decontamination exercise at York College. They involved Level 3 Public Services students to play the part of the contaminated casualties along with Foundation Degree Media Make-up students who used their skills to turn students into real casualties.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service demonstrated how they are capable of working with mass contamination as well as commanding and controling a mass incident. This demonstration formed part of the Level 3 Public Service course, helping students to complete a unit called: Planning and Management of Major Incidents. Says Lee Armstrong Head of Sport and Public Services at York College: “This exercise allows the students to see for themselves how the Fire Service deal with an incident and gives the students a fantastic opportunity to directly get involved with the exercise.”

Public Service student Jack Feasby volunteered to be one of the casualties for the exercise and comments: “It is really exciting to be involved this close and brings to life the theory behind planning and managing incidents. It was great to work with Media Make-up students too, they did a fantastic job making me look like a real casualty.”

Carmen Chow is a student on the Foundation Degree in Media Make-up course who worked on Jack to get him ready for the exercise. Says Carmen: “I enjoy the creativity this course offers me. Working on the decontamination exercise was a great experience for me to build my confidence and speed at creating victims with blood and burns.”

The North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service decontamination exercise has encouraged Carmen to progress a career in Media Make-up, working in Film and TV. She hopes to work in London on finishing her studies at York College.

Current Term's News