More detailed information is available in our Homestay Handbook for hosts. This is available here.
What do I need to provide?
The following information is a summary of the most important things that homestay hosts provide:
- A clean, safe and friendly living environment
- A study bedroom for each student which includes a desk and adequate space to store clothes
- Use of a bathroom (need not be en-suite)
- Breakfast and an evening meal 7 days per week plus lunch over the weekend
- Space for students to store their own food
- Use of communal living areas (e.g. living room, dining room, garden etc)
- Use of the internet
- Support for students, especially at the start of the year
What else do I need to do?
In addition, there are certain things we ask of you as hosts which are required to fulfil our legal obligations and to ensure we can support both you and our students:
- A representative from each household will be asked to sign a formal agreement before they can host students. An example of the current form is available here
- Hosts must supply a working email address and agree to check this at least once a week
- Every household must supply a gas safety check certificate at least once per year
- Every household must undertake a simple fire risk assessment once a year
- All adults resident in a homestay household (other than paying students/lodgers) must undergo an enhanced criminal record check every 4 years. The cost of this is met by the College
- Finally, a member of College staff will visit you in your home before you host your first student and once per year thereafter to check that everything is in order and to answer any questions you may have