Health and Safety
Please find below a range of information relating to Health and Safety policy and practice at York College.
British Safety Council Five Star Health and Safety Management System Audit Report - May 2015
In May 2015 York College received a British Safety Council Combined Five Star Occupational Health and Safety Audit Report on health and safety operations at the College. The College was awarded the highest possible overall audit grading of Five Stars with a score of 96% (Excellent). This means that the College has been judged by the British Safety Council to have, and to be implementing, an 'Excellent' approach to health and safety. The full report can be downloaded below.
Ofsted inspection - December 2013
In December 2013 York College was recognised as one of the UK’s leading Colleges after the overall effectiveness of its provision was judged ‘Outstanding’ by the national inspection body, Ofsted. The College received Grade 1 Outstanding across each of the main areas of: Outcomes for Learners, Leadership and Management and the Quality of Teaching, Learning and Assessment. Within the inspection report Ofsted said "Arrangements for ensuring students and work-based learners are safe are comprehensive and effective" and that the College creates "a friendly, harmonious and safe learning environment." The full Ofsted inspection report can be downloaded below.
Health and Safety Policy
York College, as a requirement of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 must produce a Health and Safety Policy. The policy document outlines the College’s responsibilities to staff, students and visitors to our buildings and gives our arrangements for health and safety.
York College sees the promotion of health and safety as a team effort, it is intended that the policy (linked below), and the team work it promotes should enable the College Community to work in partnership to achieve a safe working environment where hazards are controlled, risks to the health and safety of staff and others are reduced to a minimum and the safeguarding of students is maintained at all times. To see the full Health and Safety policy, please click below.
Health, Safety and Welfare Policy Statement of intent
York College recognises its responsibilities as ‘the Employer’ as specified in the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and in all subsequent legislation and directives that impinge on the activities of the College.
The College will seek to ensure, as far as reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of all employees, students, contractors and members of the public who are directly affected by the activities of the College. The College will fulfil its duties by:
- Providing adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities
- Consulting with our employees on matters affecting their health and safety
- Providing and maintaining safe premises, plant and equipment
- Seeking to ensure safe handling and use of substances
- Providing adequate supervision, information, and instruction for employees and students
- Committing to provide adequate resources to health and safety
- Seeking to ensure that employees are competent to do their tasks, and to give them adequate training
- Working to prevent accidents and cases of work related ill health
- Maintaining safe and healthy working conditions
- Operating an “open door policy” at all levels with regard to reporting issues or concerns on health and safety matters
- Reviewing and revising this policy as necessary at regular intervals and at least annually;
- Committing to set health and safety objectives and improvement plans to drive continual improvement in performance
To see the full Health, Safety and Welfare Policy Statement of intent please click here.